Monday, April 29, 2019


Have you ever been confused about what day it is? You wake up in the morning thinking it's Tuesday and you have a doctor’s appointment, only to find out when you appear at the doctor's office that it's Monday.

Some of us blame this confusion on old age, while others place the blame on a busy calendar. But maybe the responsibility for this bewilderment belongs to someone or something else, as you will discover in . . .


The Daze Of The Week

     My name is Simon Peter. I’ve worked for Dr. Theo Lord, therapist and life guide to those who seek his help and support, for as long as I can remember. I’m his personal secretary and general office manager.
      It is through me those who wish to see Dr. Lord must pass. I manage the gates, the entrance, to his magnificent office. The doorway of golden tile glistens. The rays of the sun, floating through the outer office’s large picture window, provide a halo effect around the entryway to his inner office.
     He has a full complement of very special patrons. He treats them as individuals and helps them surmount the barriers life places before them. He serves as their mentor and mine, as well. We all respect him and trust him with our lives.
     I leaned back in my chair and pondered my good fortune. The intercom buzzed, interrupting my mind’s meanderings.
     “Simon, please come into my office so we can discuss this week’s appointment schedule.”
     “Yes, sir. I’ll be right there.”
     As I entered his office, Dr. Lord motioned to me to sit down. I sat in the first of the two chairs placed before his large mahogany desk—my usual seat. I like consistency in my world.
     “Simon, I need your assistance. I have some concern about the week. There seems to be some uncertainty about which day comes first. On my appointment list, you have my usual second appointment listed first. As I scanned the rest of the list, all my appointments have been transposed. Everything is out of order. Do you have an explanation for this?”
     “Well, sir, it’s a little complicated. As you know, we’ve always considered the first day of the week as the time you meet with Seth Sunday.”
     “Yes, that’s true. So, I don’t see a problem.”
     “Let me continue. A bit of an issue has developed. Misty Monday now insists she should be your first appointment and not Seth. This has led to utter confusion, as each of your other very special daily clients has become somewhat dazed by this matter. Therefore, the schedule has become quite chaotic.”
     “But how can this be? Everything has been in perfect order in the past.”
     “I don’t know, but the phone has been ringing off the hook. As I’ve already indicated, Misty Monday will begin your week. She’ll be followed by Toby Thursday, Sadie Saturday, Willie Wednesday, Frankie Friday, Tina Tuesday and, last but not least, Seth Sunday. And Seth is very disconcerted by this turn of events.”
     “I’m not surprised by his reaction. This is all quite awkward, and, if not fixed, will have an impact well beyond these very important daily clients. As you are aware, others are extremely dependent on the maintenance of this appointment sequence, and subsequent public calendar created, to maintain order in their lives.”
     “Yes, I am, but how do you propose to address the problem?”
     “I have an idea, but it is quite radical. And if it doesn’t work, it may forever upend the order of the week I’ve worked so hard to preserve. It may be a little tricky. It also involves risk.”
     “Risk? What kind of risk? This makes me very uncomfortable.”
     “I don’t mean to do that to you. But, if you’re going to work with me to correct the current confusion, you’ll need to be privy to all the dangers involved with the technique I will employ. May I proceed?”
     “Yes, please continue.”
     “Good. Now, what I propose to do has never been done before with these very significant patrons. I’m going to have them participate in a group therapy session.”
     “You don’t mean you’ll bring all your daily clients together in the same room on the same day to engage one another?”
     “Yes, that’s exactly what I mean.”
     “But that’s absurd. They each have their own day. They are so independent, single-minded. They don’t talk to one another. They don’t share. This is why you’ve never done it before. It can’t work.”
     “It has to. So please schedule all these very important individuals . . . and I do mean all . . . no exceptions, for my first session next week.
     “Okay, but whose first session? Seth’s or Misty’s?”
     “That’s your call. Make it happen.”
     “All right. But do I tell them up front they’ll meet as a group and not have individual sessions? Or do I wait until they all show up and find themselves in the same room?”
     “Again, Simon, I’ll leave the decision up to you.”
     Back at my desk, I contemplated how best to address this matter. I had to be gentle, but firm in my approach and, at the same time, not let my own fears show.
     Since Misty Monday could be described as “all work and no play,” and somewhat hardheaded, I decided the group session would be scheduled on her day. Seth Sunday was more laid-back and easy going, a guy who takes time out to rest on his day. Although bewildered by this whole mess, it would be easier for him to adjust than it would be for a very hyper Misty. The others, considered followers or middle of the pack types, will accept my proposed meeting schedule without a lot of consternation.
      I decided I’d call each of them in the order of our current scheduling pattern, beginning with Seth Sunday. And I felt it best to tell them up front this would be a joint meeting of all Dr. Lord’s seven important regulars.
      I spoke in my most respectful manner and treated the invitation in a matter-of-fact way. To my amazement, none of these souls questioned the reason for the timing of the session. They all accepted it.
     Misty Monday seemed so elated they would be meeting on her day, she gushed, “Oh thank you for choosing my time to meet, for the activities of the week do begin on my day. As such, your choice is quite appropriate.”
     When I told Dr. Lord all had agreed to meet together at Misty Monday’s meeting time, he became ecstatic. He called me a genius for pulling it off . . . and then I, too, became ecstatic.
     Bright and early Monday morning, I sat at my desk and awaited the arrival of our very important patrons for this crucial meeting. As they entered the office, I greeted them and chanted, “Hello, welcome, my friends.” They seemed pleased with my enthusiasm. With all now assembled, I shepherded them into the room where the session would take place. The chairs had been arranged in a perfect circle with no first, second, or third position evident. For the purpose of this meeting, all participants would be considered equal.
     Each client took a seat. With all now seated, I pressed the intercom button. A strong, powerful voice bellowed, “Theo Lord speaking.”
     I replied in a soft, but confident manner, “Dr. Lord, we are ready to begin.”
     As Theo Lord entered the room, the clients began to rise before the great man. But he raised his hands high, palms showing, and then slowly lowered them, the message clear—no need to rise. And those gathered sat back down.
     I took my position in the rear of the room—my responsibility—observer and recorder of the session’s outcomes. I set up my laptop, entered the time, 10 a.m., and the day, Monday, Misty’s day and time slot.
     Theo Lord began to speak. “My very special clients, and, might I say, friends, welcome. I’ve asked you here today so we might straighten out the week. That is, when it starts and when it ends. I thought we’d all agreed Seth Sunday’s day began our week. But now I’m told at least one among us no longer accepts this.”
     “I believe, Dr. Lord, you’re speaking of me,” Misty Monday said, with some indignation.
     “Yes, my dear, Misty. Your request that you be my first client of the week has driven the others gathered here today into a state of dire confusion. Therefore, we must address this issue, because the way our week operates affects our friends and neighbors and even others we don’t know.”
     “Well, then what’re you proposing?” Misty queried.
     “I’d like each of you to present your position, that is, why you do or do not believe a change in our current arrangement is necessary.”
     “Okay!” Misty screeched. “I’ll start.”
     “Please, Misty, I want to start at the beginning of the week.”
     “But I am the beginning,” she whined.
     “No, not unless we change what we’ve always done. Therefore, for today, Seth Sunday is still the beginning and he will start.”
     Seth appeared very uncomfortable as he wiggled around in his chair. He stuttered, “I—I don’t know what to say.”
     “Please, say what you’re feeling,” Theo Lord commanded with authority, but gentleness.
     “Uh, I’m very religious. I pray on my day. Also, this is my time of rest and preparation for facing the week ahead. Everybody needs this.”
     Misty squealed, “That’s so ‘old school.’ Others rest on Saturday and some on Friday. Seth, you’re more in the middle than the beginning of the week. I’m the day that drives the week—the one that propels people to action. It’s me, Misty Monday, who starts both the work and school week. I get people’s blood flowing.”
     “Oh, Misty, you’re such a pushy broad,” bellowed Tina Tuesday. “Maybe, in reality, I should be first. Things are hectic on your day. Many people try to avoid it and some even hope it never comes. On my day, everybody’s calmed down. They settle into their routine and become resigned to the fact they have to work. My day is known as the time to bring out the best ideas in people. If we had this meeting on my day, I bet we could reach a solution to our problem faster.”
     Before Misty could respond to Tina, Dr. Lord chimed in. “Is there anybody else who would like to speak?” His eyes focused on Willie Wednesday. Willie was a middle-of-the-road type and somewhat of a daydreamer. He needed to be reminded there was more of the week to come after his day and he had to get back into gear.
     “Huh, why, why you lookin’ at me,” he stammered.
     “I want to give you the opportunity to state your position,” Dr. Lord explained.
     “Well, I don’t have one. I can go either way. Doesn’t matter to me,” Willie blurted.
     As Dr. Lord began to reply to Willie, Toby Thursday interrupted. “Let’s get this show on the road. I have to get back to the office to get my work done. The weekend’s coming. This meeting is a waste of my time.”
     Frankie Friday moaned, “You can’t end this. Only I can. I’m the end of the workweek. So when I say it’s over, it’s over. You got that.”
     “Hey guys,” a bright and cheery Sadie Saturday sung out. “Everybody used to be happy on my day. But now, so many of them have to work. Our world has become so crazy. And, Frankie, you’re full of it.”
     It became obvious things had gotten out of hand. Our important clients continued to interrupt each other and bicker back and forth. I looked for Dr. Lord, but he had disappeared from the room amidst the chaos.
     In his absence, I thought maybe I should speak up. I reached deep inside myself to find the nerve to say my piece. Then, out of nowhere, a booming voice halted the turmoil. Coming from the heavens above, it shook the circle of significant patrons to their very souls.
     Through the speaker system mounted on the room’s ceiling, the voice resonated, “I am Theo Lord, and mine is the word you will listen to and obey.”
     Our important clients sat straight up in their seats and focused their attention on the powerful voice emanating from above.
     “My very special friends, our hour is up and since the problem before us has not been resolved, we will reconvene here one week from today.”
     A wisp of a smile appeared on Misty Monday’s face as she exclaimed in delight, “See, I told you my day starts the week.”


Copyright © 2012 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment