Tuesday, May 7, 2019


Aging happens as a matter of course and not choice. As we age, we reach a stage in our lives where we question our purpose.

While old, we still seek to be worthwhile members of society. Finding our place is at times hard without the help and support of others, as is expressed in . . .


I Am Old Now

I always wished for a long life.
But now that I have reached my twilight years, I wonder why.

I dreamed a dream the other night.
It made me mad.

Yet now I try to recall it,
but I cannot.

Life’s memories no longer linger,
and that saddens me, too.

I used to be able to do so much,
with a sharp mind and a youthful body.

My strong body held me erect,
as I walked with pride through the neighborhood.

But now I am quite bent over.
I need a cane to get around.

I am depressed a lot of the time.
Old friends are gone—leaving me alone.

It is a struggle to get up each morning.
To face an empty life leaves me cold.

I have trouble finding something to do each day,
for I have few meaningful options.

Yes, I am old now and cannot see well.
Yes, I am old now and cannot hear well.

However, I am very proud of the life I have led
and want to be a part of the life I am in, but I do not know how.

There is not much I need, but I still do have a lot to give,
if only you would ask.


Copyright © 2018 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment