Saturday, July 13, 2019

Some things in life are meant to happen. But how do we know what they are?

 

We receive messages—forewarnings—in mysterious ways. Such is the case in . . .

 

 

I Am Your Destiny

 

     The dreariness of a cold winter’s day hung over me. I shivered as I walked down Main Street toward First Avenue. I didn’t know where I was going, but the phone call I’d received minutes earlier said this is what I had to do. The caller’s words, “You must go now. Take Main to First.”

     “Go where?” I asked.

     “You’ll know when you get there.”

     “Where’s there?” No answer. The caller just hung up. So I left the house, as instructed. I seemed to be powerless to do otherwise.

     I continued down Main, looking from side to side and then over my shoulder to see if I’d been followed, but saw nothing. Then an unshaven man, in his twenties, dressed in a black hoody, emerged from the doorway of a closed men’s shop and approached. I cringed at the thought of what might be in store for me. However, he just stared and grumbled, “Turn right on First.”

     “Who are you? What do you . . .?” Without answering, he disappeared into a dark alleyway. I pulled myself together and continued on my journey, my legs propelled by some unknown force. I tried to stop, but it felt like the ground moved beneath me, carrying me to wherever I was meant to go.

     I reached First Avenue and began to turn left. I’m not going to let this force control me, I thought. Then a fierce wind came out of nowhere and coerced me into turning right. I lurched forward. My arms shot out as I tried to break my fall. However, I didn’t go down. Another draft of air propelled me back into an upright position. I wobbled a bit before regaining my balance. I lifted my head. “What the . . .?” I muttered. “Who are you?”

     “Who are you?” a gorgeous blond woman replied.

     “Jack Marin.”

     “Well, Jack Marin, come with me.”

     “Why? Where are we going?”

     “You’ll see when we get there,” she murmured.

     “I can’t handle this. I want to know now.”

     “Just trust me.”       

     “Why should I?”

     “Because you have no choice,” she said.

     She grabbed my arm. I tried to break loose from her grasp, without success. Then she just let go. But I still couldn’t move.

     “I told you, you don’t have a choice. I am your destiny.”

     “My what?”

     “You heard me.”

     She walked in front of me as I followed behind, but not of my own choosing. My movements were beyond my control. This has to be a damn dream. When I wake up, everything will be fine, I thought.

     “Only if you do as you’re told.”

     Oh, my God! She can read my mind.

     We approached a large gated courtyard. She raised her hands, with palms pointing toward the sky, and chanted, “My Lord, I am your humble servant and I ask for your guidance in fulfilling my mission.” What I saw amazed me. The majestic golden gates swung open and she took my hand and led me to the center of the courtyard.

     “Look toward the heavens,” she demanded.

     “Why?”

     “Because I said so.”

     I wanted to object, but something inside of me told me to do it. Slowly, I raised my head skyward. A colorful aura appeared before my eyes. I had never seen anything as beautiful before. Spewing forth from a white core was a rainbow of brilliant colors.

     Captivated by the beauty, I wasn’t aware of what was happening around me. I heard squeals of laughter. A small boy called out, “Daddy, Daddy, take me to the pool.”

     “Are you speaking to me?” I asked.

     “Yes, Daddy. Please let me swim in the pool.”

     “I’m not your daddy. I have no children,” I cried out. I could see tears well up in the child’s eyes. My heart ached.

     “Daddy, don’t let me go swimming alone. I’ll drown.”

     And then, the little boy, as if carried by a magic carpet, floated onto the surface of the glimmering bed of water. As I watched in awe, he disappeared and then rose up and then sank again. “Daddy, save me. Please save me,” he whimpered.

     “I’m not your daddy,” I repeated.

     “Daddy, don’t let me die. Don’t let me die.”

     My head spun. I didn’t know what to do. “This isn’t real,” I yelled. “It can’t be.”

     “Yes it is,” the beautiful blond woman murmured. Then she gently took my hand and led me toward the water. Bubbles showed up upon the surface—bubbles of a life soon to be lost, if I didn’t act fast.

     For the moment, I stood frozen to the ground. Then a force, like a wave from a violent ocean, propelled me into the water.

     As the years passed, I forgot this wild dream I had. It slipped deep into the crevices of my mind. Six years later, I stood in front of the altar at Bethany Lutheran Church, as Reverend Bell spoke.  

     “Do you, Jack Marin, take this woman, Alison Summers, to be your lawful wedded wife?”

     I turned to face the alluring blond goddess standing next to me and said, “I do.”

     She responded, “I do, too.”

     “How in the world do I deserve someone like you?” I stammered.

     She looked at me with eyes that sparkled with joy, as the love we shared simmered within us, and murmured, “I am your destiny.”

     Four years later, our three-year old son, Justin, wandered into the church pool as Alison and I sat with friends on the deck sipping lemonade. Absorbed in conversation, I heard screams that brought back memories of my eerie dream. “Daddy, Daddy, help me! I can’t swim.”

     I didn’t hesitate for a moment, as I bounded toward the pool, dove in, and rescued my son. I knew in my heart I’d been primed to do this years ago, for it was . . . my destiny.

 

 

Copyright © 2015 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment