Sunday, February 2, 2020


Update! Update! On September 30, 2019, “Murder Mystery” was published on my blog.

Since then, new facts have been uncovered in the murder case. Life does have its twists and turns. And things do not turn out as planned, as you will discover in . . .


Murder Mystery: Update

     Please reread the original “Murder Mystery” posted on September 30, 2019, to fully understand the twist in the story that has occurred. And now, a short recap and the new, unexpected end to the story.
     Mr. Pruitt, an insurance agent, is called during the night and told by Detective Jonas Pride that a client of his is in the hospital in a coma and may die. As the conversation proceeds, the prime suspect becomes his wife, Sherry, who would inherit $2,000,000 upon his death. And the cause of her husband’s death emerges as a drug overdose.
     Detective Pride asks Pruitt if he would come to the police station at six o’clock that morning to have his statement taken. The detective says he will pick him up. However, when he arrives at the house and rings the doorbell, Pruitt yells from behind the door that he knows nothing about the telephone conversation and says he has to get ready for work. This behavior leaves Pride totally bewildered, as he walks down the driveway to his car.
     Seeing Pride drive away, Pruitt calls his accomplice, Sherry, the wife of the now deceased man, and tells her he will be getting the insurance money to her as soon as possible. He states, “For now sit back and relax. When things quiet down, I’ll see you on the beach in Aruba. I love you.”       
     And that was the end of the story. But was it? . . . Not quite, as Pruitt discovers. And this is the rest of his story.
     Two months after my telephone conversation with Sherry, my company completed the process allowing her to receive the insurance policy money. They gave me the check to send to her. However, instead of sending it, I packed my suitcase, tucked the $2,000,000 check in the inside pocket of my sport coat, and headed to the airport to catch the plane to Aruba to meet her.
     After parking my car, I took the shuttle to Terminal 2. Once inside the terminal, I got my boarding pass and took the escalator to the second floor. I got in line to go through the security checkpoint. I had to remove my jacket to clear security so I could get to the gate to board the plane. I completed the process without incident. Picking up my jacket off the conveyor belt, I reached into the pocket to get the check. “Oh, my God!” I screamed. The check was gone.
     I took out my cell phone and called Sherry. “Hello,” she said.
     “Sherry, it’s me. The check has disappeared.”
     “No, it hasn’t,” she responded. 
     “Huh?”
     “Detective Pride has it.”
     “What are you talking about?”
     “Security people love to please detectives. You should have kept your eyes on your jacket.”
     “What do you mean?”
     “Pride is on a private plane to Aruba right now. He’ll be meeting me for dinner tonight at a beautiful restaurant on the beach. Goodbye, my love. You’ve been a big help in making me very rich and my future much brighter.”
     And this is the end of the story.


Copyright © 2020 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment