Thursday, July 2, 2020

Might you have to give up too much to get what you want? Yet you dream of what life could be like with her.

 

But is she real? Consider . . .

 

Dancing With The Devil

 

"Dance with me," she said. I managed to stammer, "Yes," stunned by               

     this beautiful woman dressed in black velour.

The music played, “Dancing With the Devil,” and we became the center

     of attention on the dance floor.  

 

The rain beat on the roof. The dogs barked in the backyard. My

     dream interrupted, a frown formed on my face.

Sad, I rolled out of bed, threw on some soiled clothes, and ambled down 

     the hallway toward the kitchen, with Little Grace.

 

Where Grace had come from, I did not know. She was swift and silent

     and appeared under foot when least expected.

I stumbled to my left and then my right, hitting one wall and then the other, 

     by each my body rejected.

 

Each dance move no better than the preceding one, it amazed me how I was

     able to remain upright.

Entering the kitchen, I spun around, then planted my feet, without tipping over.

     It was quite a sight.

 

Regaining my composure, I stared at a woman standing before me, with 

     Little Grace, tail wagging, by her side.

“Well,” she gushed, “That was quite an entrance you made—one ‘hell’ of

     a funky ride.”

 

Her beauty, beyond anything I had ever seen, intrigued me. Her smile made

     my heart flutter. My tongue became tied.

Seductive, in ways I could not have imagined, this lady from my dream had

     me mystified.

 

Then, without warning, Big Burt came rumbling through the doggy door,

     jumping on me with amazing force.

I lost my balance and began to fall, first grabbing for a chair and then the 

     kitchen wall. For stability, I was at a loss.

 

The fascinating intruder who had entered my life, giggled, as she watched me

     in the throes of another ungraceful fray.

I cursed, under my breath, “Why the devil was my chance for romance 

     being upended in such a demeaning way?”

 

The magic of her ways enthralled me. She fluttered her black eyelashes and

     gave me a wink. My heart palpitated out of control.

Softly, her voice sung out to me, “Come close. Hold me. Let me embrace both

     your heart and soul.”

 

“Dance with me,” she said. I managed to stammer, "Yes," stunned by

     this beautiful woman dressed in black velour. 

The music played “Dancing With the Devil,” and we became the center

     of attention on the dance floor.  

 

 

Copyright © 2019 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment