Tuesday, October 20, 2020

We are two weeks away from our next presidential election. What are the qualities that make a strong candidate?

 

Has this year’s presidential race gone to the dogs? To find out, focus on . . .

 

 

This Doggone Election

 

     It was Tuesday morning—two weeks before our country’s national election on November 3. Seven of us gathered around the large picnic table in the backyard of the home where I live. We stared at each other and said nothing. The silence was excruciating. 

     Okay, Jake, you called the meeting, Jasper snarled. So let’s get on with it.

     Yeah, Jake, Lizzie whimpered. I have a nail appointment this afternoon. So time is of the essence.

     What’s this all about, anyway? You made me miss my morning walk, Godfrey grumbled.

     Calm down folks. Just relax, I grunted.

     With her nose in the air, Greta, sang out, That’s not my strong point. I’m edgy and you know it, Jake. Either it happens now or it doesn’t happen at all.

     Romeo and Juliet, brother and sister, shook their heads in dismay.

Wouldn’t it have been better if we just messaged each other, as we usually do? This getting together thing never seems to work, Romeo snorted.

     And I need my beauty rest, Juliet yawned.

     Well, you’ll just have to stay awake a little while longer, Juliet. We have a mission to accomplish, I emphasized.

     And what might that be? Godfrey moaned.

     To determine the outcome of the presidential election.

     You’re kidding? Aren’t you, Jake? Greta yipped in utter disbelief.

     Not at all. If Russia can do it, so can we.

     But how? Lizzie whined.

     That’s a good question, Lizzie. So, all of you, please sit and listen. And to my surprise, they did.

     I need your help to determine which of the two candidates our “followers” and we should support. Once we have done this, we can go out and spread our messages all over our territory.

     Do you know what makes a good president? Nobody responded. They looked at each other, with blank expressions on their faces.

     Would you believe, it’s the same things that make a good dog?

     Huh? Greta growled. How can that be?

     Let me show you. We’re going to play a game. Each of us is going to tell the others at least one thing that makes a good dog—something that will get you a treat or a vote, if you were a candidate.

     Saliva began to drip out of Jasper’s mouth. Okay, Jasper, we’ll begin with you.

     His head moved back and forth and then he yelped, It’s not all about me.

     I like that one, Jasper. I think we’re off to a good start.

     Me. Me. I’m next, shouted Lizzie. My answer is, don’t attack or jump all over a rival.

     Great response, Lizzie, I screeched. Well this ignited the others and they began to shout. Hey, I screamed, one at a time.

     Juliet yapped, Listen to what people have to say.

     Romeo jumped in. Respect others and the rules of the house.

     Control your impulses. Don’t do things without thinking, Godfrey cried out.

     Always tell the truth when asked if you did it, and admit when you’re wrong. You know, put your tail between your legs, Greta whispered, with her head bowed down.

     Everybody was now into the game. Then Jasper yelled again, Think about how what you do will affect others.

     Fantastic! Now it’s my turn. I will end the game. You must have courage to do what is right, but don’t walk all over others when doing it.

     The enthusiastic barking, yelping, and yipping was so loud, it brought tears to my eyes. We had accomplished our mission and it was one of which we should be proud.

     I looked at my friends and barked, Go out and spread the word. Leave messages everywhere. From your answers, it’s very clear what traits our next president should have. So cast your vote.

     However, we couldn’t, and that’s not fair. But, that’s an issue for another time.

 

 

Copyright © 2020 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment