Monday, November 9, 2020

We dream of a beautiful vacation at a wonderful resort—a time to kick back and relax.

 

Planning such a getaway and traveling to the location of choice can be a monumental task. So much so, that we may decide it is better to take a . . .

 

 

Staycation

 

Okay, let’s go.

It’s vacation time.

Bags to pack.

Drive to the airport.

Arrive two hours

before departure.

Lug the bags

from long-term parking

to check-in.

Go through security.

Find a seat

in the boarding area.

Sit and enjoy

the sounds of boredom

all around us.

Wiggle around

on the hard seats

and watch the crowds,

navigate their way

to their gate destination.

Find out our flight

has been delayed two hours.

Shake my head,

somewhat frustrated.

Pay twice the price

for snacks, half as tasty,

as those at home.

The wait

to get on the plane

just keeps getting better.

My wife, her nose buried

in her paperback novel,

pays no attention to me.

The joy of this adventure

is overwhelming.

The guy seated next to me,

spills his drink

onto my shorts covered legs

and into my shoes.

Just as I think

things can’t get any worse,

an announcement

over the loud speaker

informs me my gate

has been changed.

Rushing to the new location,

at the other end of the airport,

makes me want to scream.

But then I remember,

this is all in my mind.

I never left home.

So I lean back

on the couch,

and enjoy

my staycation.

 

 

Copyright © 2020 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment