Thursday, December 24, 2020

Even in these difficult times, good things can happen. “Family members” can bond in very special ways.

 

I’d like to share a personal love story with you. Help me celebrate . . .

 

 

Happy Holidays, Sweet Fifteen

 

     She turned fifteen on the November 22, 2020. Then she turned fifteen on December 7. This may be confusing to some, but not to my wife and me. When a senior citizen and young child are blended together under one roof, one doesn’t know what to expect.

     Abby, our fifteen-year-old schnoodle—a centenarian in dog years, calm and relaxed, enjoyed the peace and quiet of the house. Fifteen years ago, Abigail Van Dog Dog of the Long Island Van Dog Dogs, a very aristocratic family, entered our lives.

     Almost a year and a half ago, Isabella, the “Queen of Spain,” a goldendoodle, lovingly referred to as Izzy, came into Abby’s and our life. She entered our world with the gusto of a bucking bronco and adjusted to “her new home,” in a matter of seconds. And the home did become hers.

     She had the energy of a bull in a china shop. Everything in her path became a target, including Abby.

     Poor Abby, looked at her and pleaded, I’ll play for five minutes. Then I have to rest.

     Izzy smiled and replied, Five hours works better for me. So you’ll have to adjust.

     At times, I wondered if Abby would survive the onslaught of her younger sister. She tried to stay out of her way as much as she could. But doing this was close to impossible.

     When Abby lost her sister, Jazzi, a schnauzer, about six months before Izzy entered her life, she became depressed and lonely. I had to drag her down the driveway to get her to walk. The day after we sent Jazzi to heaven, I did get Abby to go out. We walked down Carriage Lane to Del Webb Boulevard and crossed over to the other side of the street. She went to where Jazzi had peed the day before, smelled the grass, jerked me around on the leash and pulled me home, fully believing that she would find Jazzi there. Her life was empty.

     Now, on certain days, with Izzy in her life, Abby looks at me and says, with her eyes, Why me? What did I do to deserve this punishment? This kid even takes the treats out of my mouth.

     However, as we are all aware, love develops in strange ways. Although Izzy is only thirteen pounds heavier than Abby, she is more than twice her size. Yet Abby has learned to deal with this in a way that appears to have the promise of prolonging her life. The old lady and the little girl have become best friends.

     At times this isn’t easy, as Izzy is the “Queen.” But she has learned to let Abby take the treat I give her and go to one side of the room, as she takes hers and goes to the other. They also play and wrestle . . . and sometimes Abby is the victor. Abby has even started playing with toys again—something she hasn’t done in a long time.

     And every day, both fifteens, enjoy the holidays by following me around with tails wagging waiting for me to take them for their daily walk. Izzy is the locomotive, I’m the passenger car carrying the poop bags, and Abby is the caboose.

     A love affair that, hopefully, will go on for years is in full bloom. Happy holidays, sweet fifteen!

 


 

Copyright © 2020 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment