Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Life makes us jump many hurdles. These obstacles can be difficult to overcome.

 

How others see us, as we navigate life’s highway, can be challenging. However, we must try to let them know that . . .

 

 

Someday You Will Understand Me

 

You say you do not understand me.

 

The changes that have taken place in my life over the years

     have had a significant impact on who I have become.

Pushed along by those who thought they knew what was best for me,

     they shaped my world and forced me to play in theirs.

I traveled a somewhat circuitous and mystical path,

     trying not to lose my way.

The road signs, on occasion,

     led me in directions I had not anticipated.

 

Someday you will understand me.

 

At times, I have taken a journey of illusion

      and have tried to accept my fate, as dictated to me.

Wanting to do right by those who orchestrated my dance moves,

     the music I listened to did not always make sense.

Often, strange tunes,

     melodic in some ways, disturbing in others, played in my head.

I tried to comprehend them, so I would not offend

     those who groomed me for adulthood.

 

Someday you will understand me.

 

Time has passed by quicker

     than I had ever anticipated.

Adrift in a sea of dragons, with fire all around me,

     my search for self continues.

I crave answers that only can come from within,

     by overcoming the demons of my own making.

Lights illuminate my path to understanding,

     yet the road ahead is often desolate.

 

Someday you will understand me.

 

As measured by my accomplishments,

     I have achieved success.

But bubbling beneath my surface,

     I desire to find out what comes next.

I dream of winning battles still to be fought,

     and doing it my way.

I search for the true purpose of the years ahead

     and strive to grasp the meaning of it all.

 

Yes, someday you will understand me,

     but first, I must understand myself.

 

 

Copyright © 2021 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment