Saturday, March 12, 2022

Attempting to take advantage of people has become a common practice in our world today. Scams permeate our lives.

 

The phone, at one time a trusted vehicle for conversation between friends and family, is now a tainted source of communication. This becomes evident in . . .

 

 

The Interruption

 

What a day I had—nothing went right.

The toaster blew up in the morning sending remnants of burnt bread flying.

Then some joker cut me off on the way to work.

I swerved to avoid him and muttered under my breath, “Idiot.”

And it got worse at the office, since I couldn’t access my email 

    and my phone rang off the hook.

 

Things seemed to change for the better, when I arrived home.

My wife, Janis, gave me a passionate kiss in the doorway.

The kids, Janie and Chris, hugged me, and Marnie, our cocker, washed      

    both my hands.

After a wonderful dinner, Janie and Chris excused themselves 

    and went to their rooms to do their homework.

Janis smiled at me and chanted, “You look bushed. I’ll clean up in here.”

 

I retreated to the family room.

Collapsing into the plush, brown leather sofa, I gave a sigh of relief.

Things couldn’t get any better.

The day’s events began to disappear from my mind.

Dreams of more pleasant times captured my heart.

 

The wood burned brightly in the fireplace.

Shadows danced across the floor like mischievous pixies.

Ashes frolicked playfully, chasing each other through the flames.

A crackling sound toyed with the silence of the moment.

I was at peace.

 

Then the phone rang, disturbing this relaxing setting.

Since Janis didn’t answer it, I reached over to the end table 

    and picked it up.

I mumbled, “Hello.” Silence. And then . . .

Music blared so loud, I thought it would destroy my eardrums.

The recorded announcement that followed rattled my brain.

 

It went on and on about the cash prize I’d won.

It instructed me to send the number of my savings account to a bank 

    in the Cayman Islands.

Doing this would allow my winnings to be deposited directly into the account.

“What the hell!” I screamed. “Why me? Do they think I’m crazy?”

My peace of mind interrupted, a fire ignited in my gut over this unwanted invasion 

    into my life.

 

 

Copyright © 2022 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment