Friday, November 1, 2019


Was Halloween ever a scary time for you? Did you want to dress up in a costume and go door-to-door trick-or-treating?

When it was over, how did you feel? Was it different? . . .


The Morning After Halloween

At ten years old, Halloween night left me in fear.
Witches and goblins still plagued my mind,
And, with ghosts, hung from the ceiling of my room.
In the dawn of morning, creepy sounds filled my ear.

Was it still Halloween night? I could not say.
Or was my mind playing tricks on me?
I tried closing my eyes to make the demons disappear.
But opening them again, they appeared in the light of day.

This should not be happening to me.
Something was wrong.
The evil spirits should have drifted away.
They should not be here for me to see.

I pulled the blanket up over my head.
I prayed these monsters would leave me alone.
Then I heard a knock on my bedroom door.
Having no choice, I left the safety of my bed.

Opening the door, I saw my twelve-year-old brother, Kyle.
He had a weird look upon his face.
“Hello, Jeremy,” he said in a way that made me shake.
“How is your day going?” he said with a smile.

“Uh, all right I guess, but it has just begun.”
“Don’t worry, I’ll protect you, if you let me.”
“From what?” I asked, not knowing what he meant.
“The witches, ghosts, and goblins, I hung from your ceiling just for fun.”


Copyright © 2019 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment