Thursday, February 13, 2020


As we approach Valentine’s Day, we think about love and relationships. But sometimes life doesn’t allow love to proceed as expected.

What if you get caught in a crowd? Then you hear something rather disturbing. It is hard to decide what to do, when asked what you . . .


Overheard
“The Innocent Bystander”

It is amazing the things people say.
Let me tell you what I overheard.
I was standing behind these two guys in a crowd.
It was pretty noisy, but I still was able to hear every word.

The first man looked at the second and began to lament,
“Why am I not able to be happy with my wife?”
The second man responded in a clear dulcet tone,
“It is just one of the burdens in a married man’s life.”

Tears welled up in the eyes of the first.
“I try and try to do things right,” he cried.
“But the more I give, the more she wants from me.
I am losing both my mind and my pride.”

“My wife is pretty smart, but I do not let her control me,” the second man
     said.
“To each of her requests,” I meagerly reply, “Yes honey, I will do my best.”
“In my mind, however, I am thinking, no way am I playing your game. 
You are not my boss. I am my own man. So let us give this a rest.”

The first man, in quite a tizzy, jabbered about killing his wife.
He groaned, “It is either that or putting a gun to my head.
I have thought about it quite seriously, I am sorry to say.
Sometimes I think about smothering her as she lies there in bed.”

“I am sure you will get caught,” the second man gasped. 
“It is better you take another direction and explore divorce.”
“But,” the first said. “She will take all my money, all the things that make my
     life worthwhile. 
There must be another way, one in which I do not take a huge loss.”

Their conversation went on and on, with no end in sight.
The first guy kept coming up with all kinds of ridiculous and unworkable
     ploys.
The second refuted each and contributed laborious conversational noise.
But then, he looked at his friend and said, “You know, we boys must be
     boys.”

He patted his pal on the back, turned, gave him a wry smile and sauntered   
     away.
The friend stood there at a loss for words and not too enthused.
He hung his head down and seemed in total despair.
Now, more than ever, he was confused.

As he looked up, he saw me standing to his rear.
He wondered aloud how much of the conversation I had overheard.
I looked at him in dismay, thinking to myself, What should I say?
Slowly, I shook my head and stammered, “Overheard? Not a word, not a
     word.”


Copyright © 2013 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment