Saturday, February 13, 2021

Life is complicated. Love is confusing. We meet someone, but is it meant to be?

 

A relationship in bloom—I thought so. But as time passed. I was given . . .

 

 

My Last Chance

 

It was my last chance,

and I blew it

in a way I could not 

have imagined.

Ever since I met her

at the Valentine’s Day Ball,

I dreamed of her becoming

a part of my life.

I saw her a few times

since then, and I believed,

in my heart,

we might get together.

Then she approached me

that warm summer’s day

in late June and asked

if I would help her.

My eyes focused on her face,

a face draped in sadness.

She bowed her head

in shame for the act she said

she should not have committed.

“What have you done?” I inquired,

hoping to get an explanation

of the actions she had undertaken,

so I could understand her plight.

But she did not respond

as I thought she should

and just looked at me,

as if I had overstepped my bounds.

“I am here for you,

if you choose to take my hand

and let me stand by your side,”

I stated in earnest.

Still no words poured forth,

as she stood her ground

and focused her eyes on mine

to determine my sincerity.

With caution, she began to speak,

her lips trembling, as she stuttered,

“I have done something awful, and

I do not know what to do about it.”

She awaited my response,

as I searched for the right words

in an attempt to get answers

and not scare her off.

But my silence had the effect

I had tried so hard to avoid,

and she turned her back on me

and walked away.

 

 

Copyright © 2021 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment