Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Life is shaped in many ways. Some of these are expected, such as the teachings of our parents. Others seem to appear out of nowhere.

 

Sometimes what doesn’t happen has a greater impact on our life than what does occur. So embrace both the inevitable and the unexpected in . . .

 

 

Sunrise, Sunset

 

The things my parents taught me shape my life from sunrise to sunset as the years go by. Through their teachings I learned to be honest and fair, to treat others the way I wish to be treated, and to believe in myself. The seeds sown made me both passionate in my endeavors and understanding of the complex world in which we live.

 

We welcome gifts into our lives and these come in many shapes and sizes, some when least expected. The best gift I ever received was when my father put into words his feelings about me, the man. After a visit to my new home, as he turned to leave, he hugged me and whispered, “I’m so proud of everything you have done and of the man you have become.”

 

Life has its ways of delivering wished for opportunities and, to my amazement, it happened one night. A phone call in the early evening, in response to a personal ad I had placed in the Sacramento Bee, both challenged me and warmed my heart. The woman on the other end of the line said all the right things and, by the time we hung up, we scheduled our first meeting. Three years later she became my wife.

 

As I made my way in the world, I sometimes wondered what my life would be like if I were rich and famous. Today my lifestyle is comfortable and I don’t want for much, yet most would not consider me rich and famous has become an unreachable dream. Yet when I look at the plight of some of those who have succeeded in achieving both fame and fortune, I wish them luck and thank God I am not one of them.

 

With the rising sun, I try in earnest to find one statement about my life that explains the essence of who I have become. In my marriage, my relationships with friends and family, or in the life roles I choose to play and responsibilities I undertake, I have considered saying, “I am a success, I care about others, I am understanding.” But as I ponder these statements, as the sun disappears below the horizon, I hope that my accomplishments allow me the right to describe myself through the proclamation, “You can count on me.”

 

 

Copyright © 2016 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment