Saturday, November 6, 2021

Pressure is put upon us to become the finest person we are capable of being. We are urged to work hard in school, sports, social endeavors, and other activities in which we engage, as we grow up.

 

We do our best to live up to our own expectations and those of others. We may even think about . . .

 

 

Becoming A Pro

 

When I entered high school, Dad told me, “If you want to be a pro in a 

       profession, you have to try hard and you can’t put things off.”

“But Dad, I’m already good at not doing what I should and my friends call    

       me a procrastinator,” I would scoff.

 

“Jason, that attitude is not going to get you anywhere. You have to practice, 

       polish your skills, and become proficient at what you do.”

“I do nothing better than anybody I know, so doesn’t that indicate I’m

       proficient to you.”

 

“You’re not paying attention to what I’m saying. I want you to produce and become 

       a man of great repute.”

“I picked up the produce—zucchini, asparagus, and lettuce—Mom wanted 

       from the market yesterday, an accomplishment you can’t dispute.

 

“And you know I’ll eat the greatest proportion of the food on the table at dinner

       tonight.

“So I profess to you, I leave nothing to chance, and try as I might to do everything 

       right.”

 

“I’m getting frustrated with your inability to process what I’m saying,” Dad said, in 

       a way that worried me.

“You need to pay me the respect I deserve. I’m just trying to help you plan for a

       future of prominence and prosperity.”

 

“I can’t think that far ahead. I’m only a sophomore in high school looking forward to

       being promoted to the next grade.”

“Life progresses all too fast, and if you can’t stay on track,” Dad stated, “You’ll slip 

       off the road to success, I’m afraid.”

 

“Road to success? I just want to get a date for the homecoming dance,” I  

       proclaimed, in a loud voice.

Then Dad surprised me with his pronouncement, “A redhead with long flowing hair 

       would be my choice.”

 

 

Copyright © 2021 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment