Tuesday, May 23, 2023

I read nursery rhymes to my kids when they were little. They enjoyed them.

 

The other day I got to thinking that nursery rhymes didn’t have to be just for children.  And so, I’d like to share with you . . .

 

 

Nursery Rhymes For You And Me—The Inspiring Dozen

 

Note: Each of the twelve new nursery rhymes has a rhyme pattern similar to that of a famous nursery rhyme. See if you can guess the famous nursery rhyme on which each poem is based. You can find the answers at the bottom of this blog post.

 

 

Larry Carey

 

Larry Carey reached for the ball.

Larry Carey was not that tall.

All the boys who had made fun of his size

Couldn’t believe Larry would get the prize.

 

Larry Carey was not a fool.

Larry Carey did well in school.

He played baseball in quite an amazing way.

Rich and famous, he’s a big star today.

 

 

Her Looks, Her Smile

 

Her looks, her smile,

A soft French kiss is my style.

In close I move, inside the car.

It must be, I’ve come so far.

 

Her look, no smile,

Should I have waited awhile?

I pull back fast, inside the car.

It won’t be, I’d gone too far.

 

Pete And Liz

 

Pete and Liz were in showbiz

To get a smile and laughter.

Pete told jokes

To laughing folks,

But Liz was a disaster.

 

Pete and Liz gave up showbiz

To have a family.

Liz loved kids

And raised them well,

But Pete was a mystery.

 

 

Handy Dandy Candy

 

The handy dandy candy sat on the closet shelf.

Then the door did open by a tiny elf.

He reached up and tried to get the candy down,

But it was out of reach, which left him with a dismal frown.

 

 

Wrinkle, Wrinkle, Aging Face

 

Wrinkle, wrinkle, aging face,

How did I get to this place?

In the mirror is this guy,

I see him and want to cry.

Wrinkle, wrinkle, aging face,

How did I get to this place?

 

When the day is done, I sigh.

My aching body asks, “Why?”

I recline in my chair and sit,

Knowing it’s not time to quit.

Wrinkle, wrinkle, aging face,

How did I get to this place?

 

 

Sally Ran A Romance Scam

 

Sally ran a romance scam

To find a wealthy man.

And she told rich guys big lies.

To win them over, her plan. 

 

Poor James came to her home one day.

Had her scheme gone amiss?

She didn’t know how to treat this,

So she blew him a kiss,

 

And thought he would go on his way.

But no, he didn’t leave.

With head held high, he waited.

For love, he did believe.

 

Sally wondered if she’d been wrong.

Was wealth the key to love?

She left the house to join James,

As heaven glowed above.

 

I’m The Man Of The Hour

 

I’m the man of the hour,

Good and bright.

This is my story.

You know I’m right.

 

Follow my every word,

I’m the man.

This is it.

I have a plan.

 

This you’ll soon discover,

For it is true.

Now let me show you

What I can do.

 

Just believe me, and see.

It is my way.

This is my game,

And you must play.

 

 

Sam Green

 

Sam Green could be quite mean.

His wife would curse and yell.

And so on their nice street, you see,

They were neighbors from hell.

 

Sam would make a scene.

Jean pointed and glared.

They stood like king and queen,

And made the neighbors mad.

 

 

Quiet Sue Chan

 

Quiet Sue Chan had lost her man

And didn’t know how to find him.

Her friend, Pat, said, “He’ll soon come home.”

She kissed him and hung up the phone.

 

Quiet Sue Chan fell fast asleep

And dreamt about seeing her man.

When she awoke, she shook in dread,

As she saw a man standing in front of her bed.

 

The man knelt down on one knee,

And said, “Will you marry me?”

She gasped and couldn’t reply.

“If you say, ‘Yes,’ my sister, Pat, will be   happy,” he said with a sigh.

 

 

Flush, Little Laddie

 

Flush, little laddie, don’t be absurd.

The potty won’t swallow you, just the turd.

And if it does, don’t be afraid.

That’s why Mommy hired a very good maid.

 

And if the maid can’t help you,

Mommy will get a skilled plumber, who knows what to do.

And if the plumber finds no way,

Mommy’s handyman will save you today.

 

And if the handyman should fail,

Mommy will throw you a very big pail.

And if the big pail doesn’t do it,

Mommy will leave the bathroom lickety-split.

 

But don’t cry son, Mommy did her best.

Mommy will call 9-1-1; they’ll do the rest.

And if that doesn’t work very well,

Just wipe your butt clean, get off the pot, Mommy won’t tell.

 

 

It’s Mind-Blowing, It’s Glowing

 

It’s mind-blowing, it’s glowing.

The conductor’s all-knowing.

He raises his hand and leads the band,

And beautiful music starts flowing.

 

 

Trickery Pickery Hock

 

Trickery pickery hock,

The thief stole a jeweled clock.

The clock glowed bright

This seemed so right.

Trickery pickery hock.

 

Trickery pickery hock,

The thief stole a jeweled clock.

The clock alarm blared,

A police siren aired.

Trickery pickery hock.

 

Trickery pickery hock,

The thief stole a jeweled clock.

He went to jail.

The clock went on sale.

Trickery pickery hock.

 

 

 

Famous Poem/New Poem

 

Humpty Dumpty/Larry Carey

Star Light, Star Bright/ Her Looks/Her Smile

Jack And Jill/Pete And Liz

Itsy Bitsy Spider/Handy Dandy Candy

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star/Wrinkle, Wrinkle, Aging Face

Mary Had A Little Lamb/Sally Ran A Romance Scam

I’m A Little Teapot/I’m The Man Of The Hour

Jack Sprat/Sam Green

Little Bo Peep/Quiet Sue Chan

Hush, Little Baby/Flush, Little Laddie

It’s Raining, It’s Pouring/It’s Mind-Blowing, It’s Glowing

Hickory Dickory Dock/Trickery Pickery Hock

 

 

Copyright © 2023 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment