Wednesday, February 28, 2024

If you did it, you don’t want her to know. And if you didn’t, you want to prove you’re being honest about it.

 

But, if she doesn’t believe you, she may say . . .

 

 

You’re Cheating

 

“You’re cheating, aren’t you?”

she asked, with a scowl on her face.

 

“No, I’m not,” I replied.

“It’s not my place.”

 

“You’re my partner

and I trusted you.”

 

“How did I break that trust?

What did I do?”

 

“Oh, you better come clean,

Or you’ll have a price to pay.”

 

“I’m clean as a whistle.

That’s all I have to say.”

 

“I see it in your eyes.

You’re one of those unscrupulous guys.”

 

“But I didn’t do anything,

and this may come as a surprise.

 

“I’m as honest as the day is long.

I play by the book.”

 

“Just keep it up, mister.

I’m not letting you off the hook.”

 

“What am I, . . .

some kind of fish?”

 

“Keep going on like this,

and you may get your wish.”

 

“I’ve had it.

Take my hand.

 

“You’ll see I haven’t been cheating.

Then you’ll understand.”

 

She grabbed my hand,

and stared at me.

 

No sign of a run, or even a marriage,

could she see.

 

“You’re worth nothing!” she screamed,

in a way that made me shake.

 

But she was right.

I’d made a huge mistake.

 

I threw my cards on the table

And admitted I’d overbid.

 

With my cheating behind us,

I put my face in my hands and hid.

 

 

Copyright © 2024 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment