Wednesday, May 22, 2019


She lit up my life. We were inseparable. There was nothing I wouldn’t have done for her.

I looked out for her, as she did for me. From the moment we met, I knew she was special. Let me tell you more about . . .


Her

I trusted her
with the secrets
I could not share
with others in my life,
as I knew she would not tell
anyone about my innermost desires and thoughts.

I treasured her
close, loving companionship,
her devotion, and passion,
in a way we both understood,
and appreciated her willingness to walk
down life’s circuitous paths at my side.

I watched her
look at me
as I did her,
each knowing we could count
on the other in stressful times
for support in addressing our serious problems.

I loved her
for being her,
unassuming, caring, and adventurous,
and hoped for a relationship
that would go on for eternity,
but knew in my heart, it would not.

I lost her
one sad day,
as she lay sleeping,
eyes shut tight, breathing labored,
at the foot of our bed,
and drifted off knowing of our love.


Copyright © 2017 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.



He was my best friend. We were like brothers. I met him in the fifth grade and all through school we were inseparable.

However, life does not always work the way we want it to. Things happen, as you will see in . . .


A Special Friendship

As a young boy, I had difficulty finding someone to call a friend, but
      then he came into my life.
Growing up together, we blended and supported one another in our
     quest to attain our dreams.

Today, a wealth of wonderful memories allows me to reflect on 
     our conversations about the world and our part in it.
I am indebted to him for traveling life’s sometimes-bumpy road with me,
      as I jumped the hurdles toward reaching my goals.

I always admired his graciousness and acceptance of both my
     strengths and weaknesses.
I envied his warmth and giving attitude, and it amazed me he asked
     nothing in return.

Under dark skies, his smile brightened my day and his laugh made
     my despair disappear.
It was my good fortune to have known him and to have had the chance
     to spend many precious moments in his company.

Although our paths parted long ago, I still think of him and the important role 
     he played in my life.
I cannot thank him enough for the treasures he bestowed upon me and pray   
     he has been rewarded for such kindness.

I hope his journey has been smooth, and he has achieved the successes
     he so deserves.
I cherish the special friendship that blossomed in our youth and helped        
     make me the man I am today.


Copyright © 2019 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.



Sometimes you find yourself in a situation where you must respond to what may be a call for help. For if you don’t, a life could be in jeopardy.

And you know your efforts will be appreciated, even if such appreciation cannot be expressed. This becomes clear in . . .


The Rescue

The night was dark—cold and silent.
The dogs barked furiously in the backyard.
A sharp piercing sound, an indication of danger, filled the air.
Squeals sent shivers down my spine.
Fear kept me pinned to the seat of my chair.
Then, courage, drawn from within, allowed me to act.
Slowly, cautiously, I moved toward the back door.
Flipping on the light switch, the scene came to life.
Trapped, a tiny hobbled traveler, not able to fly, screamed for help.
I exited the house and headed in the direction of the cries.
Reaching down between the dogs, I lifted up the young bird,
and carefully placed it back in its nest.


Copyright © 2018 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment