Thursday, June 18, 2020

How much control do we have over our own mind? Do we always know what’s going on?

 

Can we lose sight of what is fantasy and what is reality? And if we do, how does this impact our world. If you pay attention, you may find out . . .

 

 

In The Head Of The Class

 

     “I won’t come to your office to meet,” she screamed, and slammed the phone down so hard it made me shake all over.

     “What was that all about?” I muttered.

     Claudius stared at me from the wall in front of my desk. “Are you all right? You appear agitated.”

     “I have no clue. I’m the Dean, the Dean of Social Sciences, and I have the right to ask one of my direct reports to meet with me in my office. Don’t I?”

     “Why ask me? I just hang around and keep you company from time to time. I hope my presence brightens your dismal life.”

     “Dismal life? What the hell are you talking about?”

     “Well, Dr. Martin Sanger, your life is . . .  How can I say this politely? Oh, your life is boring.”

     “Boring, Claudius? Why do you say that? I’m a Ph.D. and a professor and dean at a prestigious university—Brandon State. I have it all. You hear me. I have it all. Everything I’ve always wanted. I’m blessed.”

     “Calm down, my dear professor. I didn’t mean to get your knickers in a twist.”

     “You’re just an English clown. What do you know anyway?”

     “Why, yes, the first part of your statement is accurate. I am, indeed, English. But I take offence with the second part. I’m much more than a clown. I’ve been around. Traveled across the ocean to make your acquaintance, I did. You’d be surprised how many important people I’ve hung around.”

     At that moment, I heard muttering coming from the wall behind me. Now what, I thought.

     “Can’t you guys keep your voices down? I can’t concentrate.”

     “Sorry, Joseph. But his life is boring. It moves along like a snail on a road of still not dry tar. He’s in a rut. Going nowhere,” Claudius stated.

     “You’ve got a point there, Claudius. I’ve looked over his shoulder a lot. There’s nothing happening. He’s just going through the motions—dreaming, but not living the dream.”

     “Oh, God! What am I going to do with the two of you?” Silence—no reaction. So I got up from my desk and moved toward the door.

     “Where are you off to?” Claudius asked.

     “You know, it’s none of your business. Stay here and keep each other company. You two jokers were meant for each other.”

     I stomped out of the office, slamming the door behind me, and shuffled down the corridor of Godfrey Hall. Where am I going? I mused. Maybe I’ll get a bite to eat.

     I left the building and headed toward the cafeteria. “I’ve got to clear my head. Those two have no idea what they’re talking about. They’re the ones stuck in neutral—hung up for life,” I moaned.

     “You talking to me?” a ravishing brunette inquired.

     “Huh. No, I didn’t know you were there. And I have no idea who you are.”

     “You’re cute. My name’s Tess. What’s yours?”

     “Martin. Martin Sanger.”

     “Well, Martin Sanger. Can I buy you a cup of coffee?”

     This took me by surprise. Pictures of Claudius and Joseph rushed like a river out of control through my mind.

     “Yes, Martin. You must go with her. This is right. It’s your chance to break out of the rut that’s dragging you down,” Claudius sputtered.

     “I’ve got to agree with Claudius, Martin. Do it, Martin. Do it!” Joseph urged.

     “But I don’t know. I don’t know,” I whispered.

     “Calling Martin Sanger. Are you there, Martin? Come in, Martin.”

     “Huh. Oh, you . . . I’m sorry. My mind drifted off. I’m terribly sorry.”

     “So, are we going for that coffee, or not?”

     “Yes. Okay. But I may not be the best company.”

     “I’ll take my chances. It’s only a cup of coffee.”

     We headed into the cafeteria. I motioned to Tess to follow me into the faculty lounge. I saw a nice table in the rear, next to a window overlooking a beautiful garden. I pulled out a chair and Tess sat down. “Cream or milk in your coffee?”

     “Cream please,” Tess responded.

     “Good, I’ll be back in a minute.”

     I ambled back to the service counter and ordered two cups of coffee, one black and one with cream. I placed them on a tray, paid the lady at the register, and made my way back to the table. As I approached, I noticed the table was empty. There was no sign of Tess. God, I thought, where could she be?

     I looked over at a middle-aged man sitting at the next table. “Sir.” He looked up at me. “Do you know where the woman went who was sitting here?” He gave me the funniest look.

     “Woman? What woman? You came in here alone a few minutes ago and then left. You seemed to be talking to yourself, but I couldn’t make out what you were saying. Nobody else has been in this section since I arrived a half hour ago.”

     “You don’t remember I came to this table with a woman?”

     “You must be confused. Look in one of the other sections—over there, behind that wall.”

     I didn’t respond. I just walked away.

     “You were with a woman, Martin,” Joseph blurted.

     “Well, thank you, Joseph. I thought I was going nuts. But where did she go?”

     In case she did move, probably because of the weird guy sitting at the other table, I made my way around the cafeteria. I scanned every booth, but didn’t find Tess. But Joseph saw her. So she must’ve been there, I reasoned. Maybe she got cold feet and took off. So I slurped my coffee, tossed the one for Tess in the garbage bin, and headed back to my office.

     As I walked, I mused, I am a professor. I am important. I must stand before my class with an air of confidence, for I am the head of the class. And I am the Dean of the department. So, head held high, I strutted with pride.

     I approached Godfrey Hall. A young man bolted out of the building’s large double glass doors and barreled into me, knocking me off the cement walkway onto the grass. I maintained my balance and screamed, “Young sir, you must watch where you are going. You could hurt someone or yourself.” He acted as if I wasn’t there, picked up his pace, and hurried off.          “That was very rude,” I grunted.

     “Yes, exceptionally so, my lord,” Claudius chanted.

     This confused me. Not only was Joseph with me, for he had confirmed I had been with a woman, Tess, but now so was Claudius. “Why are you two here?” I asked in a puzzled tone. “I told you to stay in the office.”

     “Well, someone has to take care of you,” Joseph emphasized.

     “We are your obedient servants, to a point, that is,” Claudius proclaimed.

     “But, as you know, I am very able to care for myself.”

     “Are you now?” Joseph asked in an impudent manner.

     A crowd gathered around, as the three of us taunted each other. They stood and eyeballed us as if they couldn’t believe what was happening. In some respect, I couldn’t blame them. For Joseph and Claudius certainly were out of line.

     “Who’s that guy talking to?” a tall blonde-haired, male student asked one of the other young men standing near him.

     “Don’t have a clue, Gary,” he replied.

     “I think he’s crazy, guys,” a young woman stated.

     “Should we call somebody to come get him?” the blonde-haired student asked.

     “I don’t want to hang around here waiting for someone to come. It’s not my responsibility,” Gary said.

     My world became quiet as I succeeded in getting Claudius and Joseph to stop running off at the mouth. But then, I heard more voices echoing around me. I turned and saw another group of students gawking at us. “What are you looking at?” I yelled.

     Nobody answered. The crowd dispersed, leaving me standing with my two silent friends. “Come on, let’s go inside. I don’t know what just occurred and I don’t care.” So the three of us entered Godfrey Hall and sauntered down the hallway toward my office.

     For reasons I couldn’t explain, I began to feel better. My head seemed clearer. As I approached the office, the office door across the hall opened. Charlene took one look at me and spun back in the direction of her office.

     “Charlene, our appointment is at 3:30 pm. I expect to see you in my office.”

     “You don’t listen, do you?” she screeched. “I hate clowns and won’t step foot in your office.”

     “Who are you calling a clown?”

     “Those pictures on your wall. They frighten me.”

     “Huh, pictures on the wall? What are you talking about?”

     “I think you gave them names. Something like Artemis and George,” Charlene said, trembling.

     “Pictures, no. You mean my colleagues, Claudius and Joseph. They work with me. Consult, so to speak.”

     “My God, do you realize what you’re saying? Have you lost your mind?”

     “My dear, calm down. I’ll see you in my office at 3:30. I’ll set my table for tea and crumpets for four, and we’ll talk.”

     Without a word, she turned and raced back into her office.

     “Moody woman,” Joseph exclaimed.

     “They are all like that at one time or another,” I declared, as the three of us entered my office and closed the door.

     About 3:30, I heard a knock on the door. Expecting Charlene, I opened it and stared at a man in a white coat.        

     “Please come with me, professor.”

     “But, why?” I asked.

     “You snuck out of the college’s hospital ‘Psych Ward’ this morning and disappeared. It’s time to take you back.” 

 

 

Copyright © 2019 Alan Lowe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment